This is post #200 and my last post for the blog Oederweg. Our time in Germany is over and a new chapter of our lives has begun. Repatriation is an important part of expatriation, but certainly not as fun and light hearted. I made this video for my friends in Germany before I moved, then discovered Germany blocked it on YouTube. No problem, I sent it to all of them on Facebook. For my American friends, it will be less poignant not knowing all the faces or feeling the pain of saying good-bye, but still is a great summary of our time in Germany. You can watch Gianna grow from a little peanut into a spunky little Fräulein.
Yesterday we visited Gianna's new school and my old/new work. We returned the rental car and tried out taking Dan to the train station at 6am this morning (it was not sooo bad). The flooring is supposed to be delivered to our house today sometime and the installers will get to work on Monday. Our new phones are sitting at a UPS pack station ready to be picked up. Everyone has been pestering us for our new phone numbers. Why do I want to talk to you on the phone anyway? Hahaha, just being mean. But it is nice to travel around anonymous, no way for people to bother me. If you want to contact us, call the Candlewood Suites in Somerset or just send an email.
Last thoughts on repatriation and the new me...
We have been gone for a year and a half. Parts of Germany seeped into my subconscious; returning to America is disorienting. The previously familiar is now unfamiliar. American money seems odd; I forget the denomination of coins. Before walking into a store or doctor's office, I still formulate my greeting and questions in German. Sometimes German words pop out instead of the English. Last night I forgot the English word for mandel (almond). American milk tastes better, but the coffee tastes weak. This morning I stopped at Dunkin Donuts to get a donut for Gianna (as a reward for putting up with that 6am ride to the train station), but passed on the coffee in favor of my home brewed Tchibo German coffee back at the hotel room. I am frustrated by the waste (car commuting, plastic grocery bags, water wasting toilets), by laws and practices that discourage public transportation use, bike riding, and walking, and by the fast paced life that leaves little time for family, friends, or vacation.
Some people think of me as the same person I was two years ago. Don't you love getting back to suburbia, tending a garden, working in the yard, spending your weekends on home repairs, driving all over creation in your car? No. The past year and a half living in an apartment and riding public transit was great! I did not miss the house one bit. I thought maybe I would feel sentimental coming back to the house once I laid eyes on it, but all I feel is resentment. Being up at work yesterday felt great when I imagined living 5-10 mins away in an apartment. I can't wait to go back to enjoying life rather than being a slave to my commute and my high-maintenance property.
So now what? I like blogging too much to say good-bye forever, so I plan to start a 365 blog. What is a 365 blog? The objective is to post a photo each day for one year with only a title and small description, when required. Maybe after 365 days, we will be off on another adventure, who knows. Once I get the blog up, I will post the link. Bis später, tschüss!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Looking forward to the new blog. Best wishes for the immediate future!
ReplyDeleteOh, how I love that video! So wonderful! and Yay!! I'm glad to know you have a blog!
ReplyDeleteI totally understand how you feel. Every time I go home... it just isn't the same anymore, and nobody really understands that. The lifestyle is seemingly different and much more than that, it's the attitude and the outlook there; so uncultured. It's almost to much to bear sometimes.
You are brave! It's difficult to adapt. I was back for 5 months and never truly adjusted. I still took my 'Plus' bags to the grocery store, and would even think in German (more or less.) Every little piece of Europe I could find was a divine token. Though I would have it no other way. I am so happy I know the life outside of those sheltered walls.
genau!
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting, Barb! It was fun following your time abroad. Welcome back!
ReplyDelete