Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Easter in Germany

We have been getting ready for Easter this week, dying eggs and buying chocolate bunnies and lambs for Gianna's Easter basket. The Germans do Easter baskets, but apparently not egg hunts. I searched high and low for community egg hunts with no luck. The only ones I found were hosted by the American Women's Club and an American children's play group. Unfortunately both of the hunts were outside of the Frankfurt city limits and we don't have a car. I bought little bags to fill with treats so Gianna can have her own little hunt. Maybe this is a good time to get her practice, so that next year she can go at it with the bigger kids.

Darth has been enjoying his Easter/Passover staycation at casa de la Schmidt. Bruno has been a fine host, teaching Darth how we do things in his house, like dogs sleep in the kennel and do not bark or beg at the table. They spend most of their time alternating between play-fighting and sleeping on the couch. I'll miss little Darth when he goes back home. Having two min pins is a real comedy show.


One more thing on my mind, Germans are always in your business as I've mentioned before. There is one bakery that I frequent where the baker speaks English, but will still only speak to me in German. He likes to correct my German pronunciation of his pastries and laughs at me when I mix English with German (oh the horror!). Today, there were two drug addicts on the corner singing in English and playing guitar for spare change. The women in front of me in line were obviously mocking them to the baker. When it was my turn, I order a pudding pretzel and he asked me in German if those were my English friends on the corner, laughing. Ha-ha, very funny Mr. Baker, like every person that speaks English must be friends. Yeesh. I keep going there because I like to antagonize this guy by continuing to mispronounce the names of his fine German pastries. It really gets his goat.

2 comments:

  1. What have you done with my dog??? No begging? No Jumping? Sleeping in a cage?! Will he be folding laundry and mopping too by the time we get home? (cause that would be AWESOME) I cannot thank you enough for being such AMAZING hosts for the monster : ) I just hope we don't turn Bruno into something bad when he stays with us

    ReplyDelete
  2. You won't believe this: last night Darth sat quietly on my lap as I ate a bowl of ice cream right above his head. No begging! And this morning Gianna was carrying a plate of shrimp chips into the dining room and he just walked behind her waiting to see if she dropped any instead of jumping up to help himself. Amazing! So hmmm, maybe today I teach him how to mop, and tomorrow he learns how to fold laundry!

    ReplyDelete