Thursday, August 20, 2009

Donnerstag update

Gianna is home this week and next, so it is a challenge to get a word in edgewise on the blog. Since the US trip, she continues her fascination with being an auto mechanic and a doctor. She props up her Fisher Price car and hollars into it, perhaps imitating the noise level at my Dad's garage? Who knows. Today we ran up to Toys-R-Us for the Fisher Price doctor kit, but instead found a German brand that was just as good. Another store sold a wooden German doctor kit, complete with wooden syringe, but I was certain she would need to see a real doctor after playing with that. This Saturday is her 1-year post-placement visit. Yes, 1 year already! The agency over here has to prepare the report 1 month before our US agency needs to sent it to Vietnam, which is 1 month before her placement date. So really we are 2 months ahead of the anniversary.

People ask if we still get looks and comments about Gianna being a different race than we are and the answer is yes, but I have become immune. Yesterday I brought her along to a doctor appointment. This doctor had previously been anti-adoption, but after showing her photos of Gianna, she agreed this one was a special case because of her beauty. Seeing Gianna in person, the doctor remarked, "Forget the eyes, she looks the same as you except for the lips. She has Angelina Jolie lips". Hahaha. What I found funny was this picture of Gianna and my Dad. I think he has darker skin than she does! He would have to come to the "ethnic pool" with me and Gianna if he was here in Germany (long story). Dan is, however, fit for the German pools with his blue eyes and fair skin.

4 comments:

  1. "This doctor had previously been anti-adoption, but after showing her photos of Gianna, she agreed this one was a special case because of her beauty."

    Everyone knows that ugly kids dont deserve parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps Gianna is an exception to the rule that orphans are all ugly scamps. Take Little Orphan Annie, for example. I never cared for that red 'fro and freckles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We've al seen them, on the playground, at the store, walking in the streets. They creep us out and make us feel sick to our stomachs. I am talking, of course, about ginger kids."
    -Eric Cartman

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't get enough of seeing pics of you and Gianna. Just love it. I can't believe its been almost a year already!

    ReplyDelete