Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Street Girl is toast

Gianna's intrepid pink and purple Laufrad named "Street Girl" has bit the dust. The ball bearings and band brake in the rear axel are damaged. Sure, there's a chance we may be able to find some suitable replacement parts and repair the old girl, but for the money we spent on the bike to begin with, it's probably not worth the time and effort. The snooty chain smoking bike repair man gave me an earful about buying cheap bikes for kids in the first place. He almost swallowed his cigarette when I told him we bought it at Toys-R-Us. Well guess what, instead of buying a €250 German approved bike, we're going back to Toys-R-Us this weekend to get another crappy Made in China model...and this time we'll save the receipt. Until then, Gianna's back to walking to school.*



*Wednesday morning edit: I let the bike guy's lecture get to me and we decided to buy a premium bike (although it was still much less than €250 and I didn't buy it from that jerk). It's German, but not made of wood like the most expensive models. I don't see why people spend more money to risk getting splinters in your arse. Photos are forthcoming once we get some decent weather...so April.

3 comments:

  1. Poor ole girl! I hope Gianna is ok with the whole walking thing. Lol. I'm sure there's a lot of things we've bought too that's cheap but didn't want to search for something better. It's our nature to buy then have remorse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These bikes are rather unique. I will try to snap some photos of Gianna and her friend riding home from school. Her friend has the wooden version.

    ReplyDelete