Saturday, February 20, 2010

Job interview

The ICE train brought me safely back to Frankfurt last night around 9pm after two days of interviewing in Paris. The nutshell story, I got a verbal offer, two actually. So now I will wait for the written offer to arrive in the mail sometime soon. For more details, read on.

Unbeknownst to me, I was interviewing for two positions, both based in Clark, NJ. The first position was Scientific Affairs. Although the word science is in the title, it is a high stress, long hours, frustrating position trying to coordinate many people from different departments to work together. While I have some negotiation and mediation skills, the position sounded less and less appealing the more they told me about it. In fact, I went to bed the first night knowing I would turn down that position if they made me an offer.

The other position was for Advanced Research. They were looking for a scientist with skills in plant physiology, plant chemistry, and plant genetics. Bingo, I have more plant knowledge and research experience than you can shake a stick at. The only down side to this position, travel is required. But I was firm that my family comes first and I'm not willing to spend long periods of time away from my daughter. Two days was even breaking my heart!

That brings me to my next point about women in science. It was interesting to hear different opinions on the 1 year gap in my CV from being an expat in Germany. Other former expats sympathized with my situation, as their wives also had to set aside their careers and be the "accompanying spouse" for a few years. They were pleased that I would be bringing first hand knowledge of Europeans back to the US. But those who had never been expats criticized my decision to sacrifice my career. One guy even suggested it was a mistake to get married. So, to be successful, women are not only supposed to be childless but now single too? Thankfully, the French guys with expat experience are the ones who are making the hiring decisions. They asked me to choose which job I wanted and I told them definitely the Advanced Research position is a better fit with my background and personality.

After the interviews were over on Friday, I was able to do some sightseeing around Paris before catching the train home. I forgot my camera, so only snapped a few shots with my phone of Notre Dame (middle) and the Seine River with the Eiffel tower way off in the distance (top). I had lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant in Chinatown, then stopped at a Vietnamese bakery to buy Gianna a durian, pandan, and chocolate 3 layer sponge cake for Tết. I also picked up a French card game and Hello Kitty sticker book for her at a little boutique shop. This morning when I woke her up, she hugged me, then sheepishly asked "presents?" She plowed through the 3 layer cake, eating all of the durian layer first, leaving the pandan and chocolate for later. It is good to be home, even though I was only gone for 2 days.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the job offers! I would think being a world traveler wild be good experience too. But what do I know? I'm sure the time away from little miss made it even more bitter sweet to reunite. I wish I could have a few days break to appreciate more what I've been so blessed with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the job offers! How is it that you always get the inappropriate/potentially illegal comments on the job and in interviews?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Debbie and Dave!

    Women in science, it's an abomination of nature. The good old boys can't help but let you know about it.

    ReplyDelete