Monday, May 3, 2010

At least we have each other

Of course there were going to be difficulties readjusting to life in the US. I prepared myself for more fat people and a highly commercialized society. I thought I was ready for dealing with the third world country healthcare system and fixing up the old house, but the USA has brought me to my knees. Today's low-lights:

1. Found an $850 expired check from the mortgage company in our pile of mail from the past 1.5 years.
2. Realized we don't have health insurance cards, and then got turned away from my doctor appointment for no proof of insurance...and then they tried to reschedule for next month. Complaining got me in Wed morning, as long as I bring proof of insurance.
3. When I tried to call Dan for a ride home from my failed appointment, I realized my German T-Mobile plan won't let me call out. This is the point when tears were streaming down my face as I stood there in the downpour with no ride and no way to call anyone for a ride. Then I realized SMS was working. That's very German. So I was able to contact Dan afterall.
4. Found out our ATM cards are expired when we tried to get some US dollars (does anyone here take Euros? Maybe IHOP?)

But on the bright side, that mail pile also revealed our 5-year ARM readjusted to a much lower interest rate than we were paying. We discovered an Indian grocery store within walking distance of the hotel, and Dan was able to get a replacement ATM card for himself and some US dollars from the TD Bank teller. Hooray!

5 comments:

  1. I think it's worth it to point out that for #2 above, we just didn't have the cards. We have the insurance. B even brought the policy # and group ID with, but got turned away because she didn't have the insurance card.

    -ds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Further details about that doctor's office exchange, I
    showed up at 3 and they said my appt was for 2:30 (I had down 3:30).
    Still, they often make me wait AT LEAST 30 mins before my scheduled
    appt, so I was livid that they wouldn't take me. Then when I said I
    didn't have my insurance card, that sealed the deal. They said they
    were too busy to be calling insurance companies for proof of
    insurance. In some ways, I don't blame them b/c when Dan called the
    insurance company today it took about 15 mins and ended with profanity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But all told, that's why our healthcare system is a mess! You clearly are insured. Why should it be such a hassle when you forget an insurance card?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Barb! I am so sorry your life in the US has been so horrible. I feel aweful. If there is anything you need let me know. But look at it this way can things get worse? We are looking forward to getting together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least car insurance companies will allow you to fill out a form online and autogenerate an email with a PDF (of proof on insurance) in about 10 MINUTES.

    I have to periodically fill out an afidavit that says my natural born son is my child even though we have different last names. Oooh, insurance fraud. In South America, everyone in a family has different last names.

    ReplyDelete