My little devil/angel was sitting in the bath tonight mumbling something over and over again. I asked her what she was saying and she pronounced "Mummy!". Gianna has never called me mom, mommy or anything of the sort. It has always been Mẹ. So I asked her "Mummy, what's that?" She raised her sudsy finger and pointed at me, "Mummy! Mẹ!" This was very endearing and sent chills up my spine. She knows we like it when she speaks English. If I only had a nickel for every time I've said "say it in English; tiếng Anh, tiếng Viet không (speak English, don't speak Vietnamese)" Don't get me wrong, I will be happy if she calls me Mẹ for the rest of her life. But it was the thought that she was trying to please me by calling me by my English title that put a smile on my face.
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Mummy!
My little devil/angel was sitting in the bath tonight mumbling something over and over again. I asked her what she was saying and she pronounced "Mummy!". Gianna has never called me mom, mommy or anything of the sort. It has always been Mẹ. So I asked her "Mummy, what's that?" She raised her sudsy finger and pointed at me, "Mummy! Mẹ!" This was very endearing and sent chills up my spine. She knows we like it when she speaks English. If I only had a nickel for every time I've said "say it in English; tiếng Anh, tiếng Viet không (speak English, don't speak Vietnamese)" Don't get me wrong, I will be happy if she calls me Mẹ for the rest of her life. But it was the thought that she was trying to please me by calling me by my English title that put a smile on my face.
Labels:
Gianna,
Vietnamese Culture