Thursday, September 17, 2009

All the way from Lancaster County

Well look what the cat dragged in to Tengelmann's this week: Snyders of Hanover pretzels! And my favorite flavor too. I couldn't believe my eyes, my typical scan of the snack food aisle actually resulted in something worth buying. German snack foods are gross, which is maybe one of the reasons Germans are much thinner than Americans. They are also only sold in small bags; these pretzels are vending machine size. But with German grocery stores, the rule is here today, gone tomorrow. I think they just buy whatever the wholesalers are trying to get rid of at "aktion preis". So perhaps I should stock up on American pretzels before they stop carrying them?

4 comments:

  1. What, no Chex Mix or Gardettos??? :-) If it didn't cost an arm and a leg and I didn't think that the German customs officers would eat them before they got to you, I would ship you a case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is EXACTLY what I do here in Jordan. They are carrying more and more American products, but I know what things may come on the boat only once or twice a year, so I stock up big time. It becomes sort of like a game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan claims it was the German custom officers that must have "stole" our David Hasselhoff CD. Yum, Chex mix. We don't even have Chex over here to make it myself.

    Cara: funny that Jordan operates the same way. Do they also have a small "American" section consisting of spray cheese, marshmallows, BBQ sauce, and Hershey's syrup (all ridiculously expensive)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, fortunately our Safeway and other large-cater to foreigner type stores carry a lot of stuff. But yes, you have to pay for it. For example, a bag of Tostitos tortilla chips will run you close to $9.
    My trick is that at Safeway, when things are in their week of expiring, they store marks them down to 1 JD or 1/2 JD ($1.40-$.70). I look for those deals EVERY week and then load up on whatever the item is. This week, for example, they had an Olive Oil cooking spray (like PAM) marked down to $.70 a can, so I bought some. I never buy that stuff b/c it's usually about $6 a can...

    ReplyDelete