Thursday, February 4, 2010

Schadenfreude


Today, ich bin krank! If I wasn't sick earlier in the week, I'm 100% sick now. I trekked out to the corner grocery to restock on juice and tissues, then made a stop at the corner bakery for a morning snack. My weak and off-pitch voice squeaked out "eine pflaumen [cough] kreppel, bitte". OK, so the actual name was kreppel mit pflaumenmus gefüllt or something like that. This woman was clearly delighted in my failing voice. Just the other day Gianna was in there coughing up a storm and now I'm sick too, oh happy day! Shadenfreude, a German term defined as: satisfaction or pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune. She made a joke in German, "do you want a plum filled kreppel or a kreppel filled plum?" Hahaha! She was almost in tears laughing. Then, for one second, remorse. She ended her laughing fit with an entschuldigung, the closest word the Germans have to sorry. Well, I'm glad my sickness and inability to correctly read the names of German pastries made someone else laugh with joy. The plum filled kreppel was still delicious.

1 comment: