Friday, April 30, 2010

Moving stage 5: leaving

Parting is such sweet sorrow. We are in our Somerset hotel room enjoying lousy coffee that tastes like dishwater. This morning we cleaned up our apartment, the rental company did a walk-through, we said a teary good-bye to our American neighbors, and headed to the airport in a taxi van that fit all of our luggage. I was quite depressed on the flight, happy for a few hours when my NJ friends picked us up from the airport and dropped us at our hotel, but now depressed again. I miss Germany and we have only been gone 12 hrs. Gianna says she is sad, she misses her old friends. I asked her what she wants to do tomorrow and she said "go back to Germany". Part of me feels the same way. But we have some work to do to reintegrate, become full-fledged Americans again. We need to buy a car, get us some US phone numbers, and buy some cheap US products. Before I left, my Germany friends said "look on the bright side, at least in America, you can buy cheap sneakers". Yeah, land of the free, and home of cheap stuff.

The photo is Dan and Gianna looking at planes from the Lufthansa lounge, the last photo I snapped in Germany.

2 comments:

  1. I hope things get better for all of you. I know Gianna never spent a summer in the US so maybe the fact that it's summer now she'll like it. All the fun things to do will make her more comfy. Plus she can visit her Vietnam brothers and sisters a lot more. We are glad your here and hope you get back into the swing of things soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can enjoy some rest, repatriating (is that the right concept?), pizza, bagels and Dunkin' Donuts coffee (iced!). We've enjoyed reading about your exploits in Germany!

    ReplyDelete