Tuesday, March 31, 2009

March 31

Whenever the calendar flips over March 31, I stop to celebrate a second chance at life. Six years ago, I didn't think it would be possible to finish my PhD program or ever walk on my own again. A neurologist prognosticated my neuromuscular demise in February 2003, but it wasn't until March 31 that I really knew what it felt like to be disabled, after an ordinary trip to the library ended with right leg paralysis (no wonder I hate books!). But after a life-saving diagnosis six months later, I started drug treatment for a fatty acid oxidation disorder and am still alive and kicking today, even walking without my cane. This year I get to hold my baby daughter in my arms, a dream I thought would never come true. So cheers to beating the odds, coming back from the brink, and a river of thanksgiving for the people that have helped me survive the journey.

3 comments:

  1. I remember when you were diagnosed. We were all so worried about you... but yet we all had the faith in you that you would fight whatever it was. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed I never see your cane anymore. Is it due to the drugs or the therapy or...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very thankful you are here today too! You truely have made my life richer since knowing you. You have also become a "family" member even in the short time we've known each other. Thanks also to the wonderful country of Vietnam!

    ReplyDelete