Germans love conformity. They have about 3 styles of kids shoes available in mauve (pictured), burgundy, or brown. They are ugly, overly supportive (like our kids are nurses on their feet all day), and EXPENSIVE. These modestly priced Lauflern-Booties will set you back €55. I guess that's why Germans buy all their kids shoes two sizes too big, so that they will last two seasons. Thank God for the UK, they are our lifeline for tasteful fashion at sensible prices. They offer US brands like Skechers and have character shoes like Dora that you can buy online (online purchasing is a concept foreign to traditional Germans). You should see the stares Gianna gets with her current pair of white [gasp!] Dora [choke!] sneakers [arg! not the German way!]. They have one too many sparkly stripes and a little Latino girl; what could be worse in the eyes of a German?
Monday, October 5, 2009
I love the UK
Germans love conformity. They have about 3 styles of kids shoes available in mauve (pictured), burgundy, or brown. They are ugly, overly supportive (like our kids are nurses on their feet all day), and EXPENSIVE. These modestly priced Lauflern-Booties will set you back €55. I guess that's why Germans buy all their kids shoes two sizes too big, so that they will last two seasons. Thank God for the UK, they are our lifeline for tasteful fashion at sensible prices. They offer US brands like Skechers and have character shoes like Dora that you can buy online (online purchasing is a concept foreign to traditional Germans). You should see the stares Gianna gets with her current pair of white [gasp!] Dora [choke!] sneakers [arg! not the German way!]. They have one too many sparkly stripes and a little Latino girl; what could be worse in the eyes of a German?
Labels:
News
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
LOL! I don't know what I would do without internet shopping...even here in the States! I love it! Great deals, great selection, and no driving from place to place! ;)
ReplyDeleteGermany sounds like a good place for me! I go in to get a pair of shoes for Will and get totally overwhelmed by all the choices for a three year old. But when it comes to shoes for me I guess I would probably hate a lack of choices!
ReplyDeleteCary, that's what I am used to, an overwhelming assortment of kids shoes to boggle the mind and drive an indecisive mom insane! The US has a type of shoe for every taste, every occasion. But no so in Germany. When I wanted to buy Gianna a pair of white dress sandals for her baptism, they tried to convince me that a pair of brown athletic sandals were the way to go, way more practical and supportive. I never did find a pair and she ended up going stocking footed. Now I am looking for a cute pair of Mary Janes and some leather booties that aren't mauve or frumpy. Frumpy and dowdy is really in here.
ReplyDelete