We'll have to wait to get the prints back to see if she smiled for the photographer or not. She would only give me a goofy smile or the back of her head after school. In other news, the XBox 360 is dead, adding to the list of reasons to return to the States. The XBox played our US DVD's and streamed US TV shows to the flat screen from the computer. We have jerry-rigged Dan's computer directly to the flat screen, but it's less convenient (no remote) and still does not solve Dan's problem of not being able to play his XBox games. Gianna has been talking about going back to New Jersey. She wants to "ride in a car" and "see her friends", referring to her Vietnamese buddies. Some days I even think Bruno is telling me (through dog telepathy, of course) that he wants to be back in his old yard. Being an "Accidental Hausfrau" is getting to me, especially with the gray Frankfurt winter nipping at our heels. The only consolation is that there are hundreds of other women in the same situation, well-educated women that gave up their career to follow their boyfriend/husband to Germany and are now out of work, spending long days in the home, pondering the cleaning power of Persil and debating politics with the dog. But I digress. Top 5 things I miss about the States this time of year:
1. Mom's apple pie (yeah mom, you make #1)
2. Fall leaves in Central PA at my Dad's farm
3. Chipping leaves with Dan (a lot of work, but quality time with power equipment and my husband)
4. Pumpkin spice coffee at Dunkin Donuts
5. Looking forward to Thanksgiving with the fam
Hey! I live in the states and even I miss Dunkin' Donuts!
ReplyDeleteWily, I propose you take a road trip to get some fine Dunkin' pumpkin coffee and pumpkin munchkins while you are at it! Visit Priscilla in NJ, where the density of Dunkin is around 1 per city block :-P
ReplyDeleteAw Barb I miss you too!!! I wish I could pack up some pumpkin spice coffee and send it to you! Without you having to pay 30 euro in taxes of course.... Put me down for a coffee date when you get back to NJ!
ReplyDeleteWhen I moved from MI to NJ (the reverse of Wily Jeneric), I noticed that my donut & bagel consumption increased dramtically. Lab meetings were BYO...whatever. Bring your own tea, fruit, etc. to stay awake. In NJ, the persenter brings the donuts & bagels. In one lab, I worked in, they used a dozen donuts as betting units. At Christmas, the students would bring them to my adviser.
ReplyDelete