Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Embarrassing things

Yes, Debbi et al, moving does give you a chance to get rid of old crap. But I am still amazed and embarrassed by the garbage that made it over to Germany:

1. This circa 1996 Avon Care Deeply lip balm. If you care deeply about yourself or others, you don't keep lip balm around that long.

2. Food that expired in 2007. Yikes!

3. Sentimental t-shirts from high school and college. Really, do we need to be keeping that XL powder puff football t-shirt just because it says "Barbie" on the back?

4. Nauseating love letters from me to Dan written on register tape and furniture tags from the department store where I used to work. Seriously, if I died and someone found that crap, it would cause GI disorders and possibly blindness.

5. Excessive souvenirs (airsickness bag, tour brochures, soda can) from Dan's high school trip to Korea.

6. Hotel soaps and shampoos. Honestly, I stopped collecting things like that ages ago, but never threw away the old ones.

7. A 2-generation old, non-working Dell laptop.

8. Computer games on CD (from the 1990's).

9. An excessive collection of pens and pencils from years gone by.

10. Four wooden rulers.


If you're interested in this stuff, you can find it in the dumpster outside our building.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like my house! But I'm older than you so things from high school are even older. Too funny the stuff we think we need to keep for sentimental reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also amazed how some of that stuff made it to Germany. Dan's Korea souvenirs? Hotel shampoos? And I'm even more amazed that in 14 years, your lip balm has not gotten lost. I lose them after just a few weeks of use.
    -Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. This gives you an idea how the movers reverse ransacked our house and sent over boxes of random crap while putting useful items like the baby stroller and high chair into storage in the US. And to be fair, the love letters, Korea souvenirs, and 14 year old lip balm were all in the same shoebox.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...And Dan said the laptop, old XBox, and computer games had mysteriously disappeared from the dumpster overnight. This makes me wonder who's going dumpster diving down there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait, wait. Dan's dumpster diving to see who's taking your discards? That's intense!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was me. I wanted King's Quest VII.
    -Brian

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Brian: how did you know we threw out King's Quest VII??

    @Jenni: he claims since the dumpster was mostly empty when he disposed of said items, it was easy to see the items had be taken the next morning as he was dumping the kitchen trash. Hopefully they don't mysteriously turn up again back in NJ (DAN!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Because I knew he had it and if I were him I would probably wait until about now to throw it out. :)
    -Brian

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have kept #4 and my guess is that most of number 9 were from random science companies!

    ReplyDelete