Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Quark


Today Gianna and I were out and about the city looking for stores that sold toys, art supplies, and/or stickers. I stopped in at Rewe for a few groceries on the way home and found the elusive and intriguing quark cheese. Quark intrigues me because the Germans bake it into all kinds of pastries and it's delicious. Wikipedia told me that quark is local to Germany and other parts of Europe. My friend Eric said German guys at work eat it with fruit, but he didn't care for it. So of course I had to try it myself! Tengelmann's (where we usually shop) only sold quark mixed with chives, dill, or radish--yuck. But today I found plain quark and relatively low-fat (0.2 g per 100 g container). It only cost me 0.35€. Here's what the product looks like in action.

Opened the package, the texture was a bit like ricotta.

Threw it in a bowl with kirsche mit orange preserves...

...and made Gianna try it. We both tried it. The verdict? I liked it plain, it tasted like plain yogurt, but thicker. With the cherry preserves, schmeckte sehr gut!

1 comment: