Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mẹ's Vietnamese Kitchen: Bun Cha and Che Chuoi

Disclaimer: I am not Vietnamese, but impersonate one in the kitchen to suite my Vietnamese daughter's discerning palate.

Like any two year old, Gianna can be a picky eater. For breakfast this morning, she wanted fried egg with Nutella. She will turn down cookies and cupcakes in favor of green beans if it suits her whim. Soon she will be starting summer camp where she has to bring a lunch that requires neither refrigeration or heating up. Help! She won't touch sandwiches, so I've been investigating some new Vietnamese dishes that can be eaten at room temp. We went down to the red light district today to stock up on Vietnamese ingredients for my experiments. Usually we eat dinner too fast to photograph, but the camera happened to be laying on the dinner table when I set out the plates. Here's Bun Cha over rice noodles and Che Chuoi, semi homemade (I really must try to make this one from scratch).

Too bad I couldn't find all the fresh herbs that are supposed to accompany this dish. There are only so many hours in the day to track down specialty foods in Frankfurt.

This might look gross, but it tasted delicious. The can of Che Chuoi contained pearl tapioca and banana in a coconut sauce. The red thing that Gianna mistook for hotdog is the banana that came in the can. I just added fresh yellow banana. Also, she insisted I photograph her plate of Bun Cha before she hoofed it down. Here it is:

Everything tastes better from a SpongeBob Squarepants plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment