Today I crossed two things off my list from the previous post with a trip to Starbucks and a homemade apple pie. While the closest Dunkin is in Berlin, there are Starbucks in Frankfurt, and they sell pumpkin lattes, at least they do in the States. So I marched into the Starbucks on the Zeil, convinced the barista to speak to me in English and tried to negotiate a pumpkin latte. She claimed to not know what I was talking about. I walked out with a peppermint latte instead. Close enough. Next stop was the farmers market for a couple kilos of apples. I made a crust from scratch and followed the same recipe my mom uses. The photo does not do it justice, it smelled and tasted delicious if I do say so myself. We ate it hot with milk for dinner like we used to do when I was a kid. Tomorrow I think I will eat lunch at KFC ;-)
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Therapy for homesickness
Today I crossed two things off my list from the previous post with a trip to Starbucks and a homemade apple pie. While the closest Dunkin is in Berlin, there are Starbucks in Frankfurt, and they sell pumpkin lattes, at least they do in the States. So I marched into the Starbucks on the Zeil, convinced the barista to speak to me in English and tried to negotiate a pumpkin latte. She claimed to not know what I was talking about. I walked out with a peppermint latte instead. Close enough. Next stop was the farmers market for a couple kilos of apples. I made a crust from scratch and followed the same recipe my mom uses. The photo does not do it justice, it smelled and tasted delicious if I do say so myself. We ate it hot with milk for dinner like we used to do when I was a kid. Tomorrow I think I will eat lunch at KFC ;-)
Labels:
Food
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
For all you hungry, homesick American expats in Frankfurt (you know who you are) I am offering up my pie making services. Apple, pumpkin, pecan, you name it, give me your mom's recipe and I will try my best. My crusts are not the greatest, but considering I did not have a rolling pin or shortening, this one turned out OK.
ReplyDelete*hopefully* when we're in berlin next weekend, the DD will have some pumpkin latte's for you...
ReplyDeleteThe key to the crust is vodka! Yes indeed - substitute vodka for the water and see the flakiness improve! But then, I can't quite tell what your top crust is - it looks intriguing!
ReplyDeleteNo top crust, just the caramelized brown sugar/cinnamon on top of the apples. I'm actually a crust hater, so I make it to as small as possible ;-) Will try the vodka trick next time, thanks!
ReplyDeleteLooks great! You are definately a better mommy than me. I do not bake or pretty much cook from scratch for that matter. Poor Morgan. Comes to live with a mommy who hates cooking. I know you'll be in heaven with DD next week. Happy gotcha day a little early!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete