Sunday, February 22, 2009

Fastnachtszug

Today was the Frankfurt Fastnachtszug, "fast night parade" or Karneval. Despite the cold and dreary day, we all had a great time enjoying the food and watching the parade. Fastnachtszug is much different than anything you would see in New Orleans Mardi Gras or Carnival in Brazil (although I can't speak from personal experience, as I have never been to either). Fastnachtszug is family friendly, with candy and fun costumes. I didn't see one woman flashing her boobs...but maybe it was just too cold for that ;-) We caught a lot of hard candy, bags of popcorn, and peanut puffs. Gianna caught a stuffed dinosaur, Dan caught two bags of some spiced bread called magenbrot, and I caught a chocolate covered marshmallow waffle from one of the bäckerei floats. Holy yum! During the parade, the people would yell "Frankfurt! Helau!" which was some sort of local greeting. I posted a whole album but here is a summary.

We've arrived! This is the Römer part of the city, Gianna, SpongeBob, Barb, and Bruno. Yeah, the coat makes me look like the stay puff marshmallow man, but I stay really warm.

Gianna is tired since the parade is happening over nap time. She's wearing her carnival mask that we made together.

Bratwurst for me. Dan got the currywurst, a spicy chopped up sausage in a hot curry sauce.

Gianna was curious about this woman in elephant costume until we got close enough to take a picture with her. Then she started screaming and burried her head in my chest!

These "paper mâché" bobble head guys are a big part of Fastnachtszug, see a video here.

I don't know what this guy was supposed to be. He was wearing what looked like a stone on his back. Anyone out there have an idea?

Are these people supposed to be Vietnamese? It was part of a troop that were dressed from different parts of Asia.

Not sure what was up with this tropical-themed black-faced crew, like they were out of the jungles of Africa. They were one of many strange, sometimes offensive groups of "fools" dressed up for Fastnachtszug.

2 comments:

  1. I like the picture with Gianna making Dan kiss her new toy! SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend told me the guy with the stone on his back is called Obelix.

    ReplyDelete