Saturday, July 4, 2009

July 4th in Germany

For some strange reason, Germany does not celebrate the United States' Independence from Britain! But looking around, I could see plenty of people wearing either red, white, or blue ;-) After mostly recovering from a fast but furious illness that struck at 4am on Friday, I was able to go out to the store to get some traditional American BBQ foods. We found Plochman's mustard (almost as good as French's), white bread hotdog and hamburger buns with a picture of the American flag on the bag (and a serving suggestion to eat your hotdog with cucumbers), Heinz baked beans from Britain, and some really tasty watermelon. Donnell brought over McCain french fries and Coke Zero to complete the feast. So, although there are no fireworks tonight, it's almost 10:30 pm and they are jackhammering at a construction site on the other side of the block. There's lots of loud noise and light, but not really what I would like to finish off my 4th of July. I guess the tasty watermelon will have to do. Enjoy your weekend America!

2 comments:

  1. The cucumbers (with celery salt) is how we eat our dogs in Chicago!!! So how does Germany know about this, but we cannot find these topings on the East Coast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, thanks for solving this mystery! Someone from Chicago must have designed the bag. I'll have to take a pic, see if you can identify any of the other strange toppings they have on the hot dogs. Yeah, we don't do that on the East coast.

    ReplyDelete