Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Just some pesky tenosynovitis

Yesterday at 3:15 I went for an MRI of my ankle. By 4:15, I was out the door with films and a report in hand! Now that's German efficiency. They didn't mess around with paperwork or make me sit in the waiting room, they whisked me right in and onto the table. The MRI itself took 30 minutes, then they decided to MRI other areas of my leg, just for comparison, I guess. It was a pleasant 45 minute nap. Dr. Mick took a look at the films this morning and told me there is tenosynovitis, or inflammation of the tendon sheaths around my ankle (see red arrow in photo). So, no major injury, but he wants this to go away to avoid further damage to the joint. They wrapped it up all nice and tight to keep it immobilized. This time he told me "don't take it off". Oops, didn't know I wasn't supposed to remove the other one. I go back on Saturday for them to take a look at it and re-wrap it. In the meantime, he told me "don't walk so much, OK?" Hahaha, OK Dr. Mick, but only because you are so nice!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad it's nothing more serious. I hope you are feeling better soon. I'd hate for your trip to the states to be miserible. Can't wait! Morgan asks every day, serveral times a day for Gianna Mai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To defend the American system, (which rarely impresses me) I too walked out of my MRI with a CD of the images in hand. Which of course leads to inevitable Googling and self-diagnosis without any medical training....lol. Hope youre feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't walk so much with an active 2yo, not sure how you will manage that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right Teresa! They keep you too busy to be sitting around with your foot propped up all day. Doing laundry is what got me into this situation in the first place ;-) To reduce the daily milage on my foot, Dan has taken over walking her to summer camp in the morning and I am riding the bus more often, even when it takes longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just borrow G. Mai's scooter. You can scoot around the apartment without putting weight on your foot. Laundry is a dangerous thing. I fell down some stairs carrying a basket and reinjured my wrist in Jan. 2008 (original injury Oct. 2007). Then I went down in a blaze of foosball glory and hurt it again in Jan. 2009.

    In comparison, here is the US version of an injury:

    Feb. 2008. See doctor for persistant pain. Get wrist immobilizer

    Apr. 2008: See Dr. again. Get X-rays & sent to physical therapy.

    Late Apr: PT says maybe I tore a ligament see a orthopedic doc.

    Early May: See Bone Doc.
    late May: Get an MRI
    June 2008: Nothing wrong; come back if it doesn't heal
    Jul 2008: got corizone shot. After a few months is is better but not 100% but who has the time for all the appts.

    In Mar. 2009, I decided to see the doctor again because of the reinjury since I almost dropped Spiderman down the stairs as he lunged for Alex. I was told to wear the brace for a few weeks. My wrist got stiffer & stiffer so I gave up on it. In May, I went back & got another shot of cortizone. eh. Well see how it goes. If it isn't better, then I may have to repeat the MRI.

    ReplyDelete